The new building of Belgrade City Museum (former Military Academy) in 40b Resavska Street, was designed by Dmitrije T. Leko, as the new part of Military academy, and commenced in 1850, along Knez Miloševa Street. It was completed after the First World War. It is designed in style of Academic Realism. An elegant façade decorations, choice of materials, clear and firm composition, all suited demands of its function and public presentation. Interior, on the other hand, was coherent to its assignment (exercise halls, classrooms, dormitories, offices and such) – clear spaces, mostly without barriers, almost as in an ascetic manner. Imposing buildings of the Military Academy complex, together with surrounding representative edifices: Barrack of the 7th Regiment in Nemanjina Street, Officers’ House, Officers’ Cooperative and park Manjež, defined the new, modernised face of this part of Belgrade at the turn of the centuries. This stroke of urbanism remained recognisable to this day.
Up until the Second World War, the building of the Museum had been used according to its original purpose, as a high education military institution. During the war, it was pre-assigned to court, and latter again changed purpose, to become administrative building, as part of the complex of State Secretariat for People Defence.
The edifice suffered damage during the war and bombing in 1941 and 1999, and it has also been fixed and adapted on several occasions, due to a change in assignment.
In 2006, it was consigned by Ministry of Defence to the City of Belgrade, for the purpose of accommodation of Belgrade City Museum. Military Print Office still utilises part of the premises. The vacant part, though undetermined, is hugely attractive, and, from time to time, used for hosting art programmes. During 2012, building has been sanitised in part (from consequences of 1999 bombing) and conserved, awaiting thorough restoration.